Wednesday, July 13, 2022

July 2022 Book Reviews


We have reached the halfway point of 2022 and I can't handle it. Where the heck have the days gone?!
This book hit me in all the feels. Unlikely Match crafted by Laura Bradbury is the tale of two people who could not be more different on paper having life throw them together as their companies work in the same collaborative space.  Jules and Tom's relationship is one of slow burn romance with lively banter. I adore that she's quirky and loves color; it's precious that he wears the same thing to work every day because it's practical. 

There's so much I want to say but can't without giving too much of the story away so I will say this: Top Ten Book for sure. And pierogis. Lots of them! Read it, you will not be disappointed!

This book is available for on Kindle Unlimited and for sale on Amazon too!

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the advanced reader copy for my honest opinion.

Over All Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I read Julia Whelan's first book, My Oxford Year, and loved it so much it is one of my top books of all-time.  Over the years I have done a good ole Google search to see if she had released additional books. Even though, I discovered she took up being an audio-book narrator I kept checking in every so often.  That's how much I enjoyed My Oxford Year. 

Then I saw it. Julia Whelan is putting out a new book and I knew I had to read it!  Netgalley and Avon Harper Voyager graciously allowed me an advanced reader copy and once it hit my Kindle, I dove in. 

Thank you for Listening is creative and superbly written. I laughed out loud and felt all the emotions during the story. Swan and Brock's are tasked to work together on a joint narration of a book and though they've never met their texting banter is on point. There are quite a few twisty-turn surprises so I'll say this: Give it a read and be ready to enjoy seeing inside of the recording booth as two people face insecurities from their past to find more than they could imagine in each other. 
Over All Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

Booked on a Feeling by Jayci Lee follows Lizzy, an attorney who is on the brink of burn out, as she takes three weeks off of work and head's to the town she grew up in giving her the chance to spend time with her best friend, Jack.  While in town, Jack is faced with the feelings he has always felt for Lizzy. Does he risk their friendship by telling her or keep everything wrapped up - he can survive for three weeks right?  While on her sabbatical, Lizzy meets the owner of the bookstore below the rental she is staying at.  She offers her help to freshen up the store and ropes Jack into helping too.

Overall concept of this book is cute; who doesn't love a book written about bookstores?! One of the best parts of this book was the transformation that took place in the small town bookstore.  Overall I felt like Jack's view of his place in his family was negative and on the whiny side. I also felt like the story was missing the history of the friendship between Jack and Lizzy and their chemistry was a little dry and awkward at times. I did find myself skimming sections to move the story along.

One of my least favorite things happened - the "let's not talk about this thing even thought it's a big thing" trope. I admit that the outcome of the unspoken was necessary to the story line, it simple frustrates this reader. 😂 

I wanted to like this book more than I did. It fell a bit short of the mark for me, but perhaps you'd like to give it a go if you enjoy:

  • Romance books with a side of spice
  • Childhood friends to lovers
  • Korean-American characters
  • Main characters find their true passions
  • Transformations of spaces
  • Third person POV
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the advanced reader copy for my honest opinion.
Over All Rating: ⭐⭐



I love a book set in London and the outskirts.  When I see that a book has a setting any where in the British Isles, I'm going to give it a chance. Plus any book that starts with an amazing meet-cute is right up my alley.  Meet Me on Platform 3 by Zara Stoneley caught my attention based off of those two items and the adorable book cover.
 
Once I started the book, I found myself getting bogged down by the repetitive nature of the inner dialogues that seemed to go on and on, skimming chunks to move to the story along.  Both Millie and Joe are likable characters that I wanted good things for but the nagging "we should have had a conversation about this and didn't" trope {which is my least favorite} led to easily resolvable conflict.

I'd say it was a fine read. I'm not disappointed that I read Meet Me, but I wouldn't rush to put it on my Must Read List.

Thank you to Netgalley, HarperCollins UK and One More Chapter for the advanced reader copy for my honest review.
Over All Rating: ⭐⭐


No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are so fun! I love reading them all and respond to each one by email!

Back to Top