Monday, May 23, 2011

Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars

Since I am underemployed, as Aunt Cathy says, I have this urge to want to make new things when we have folks over.  We were having a Mexican themed dinner and I wanted something sweet to serve as well.  I came across the recipe below, read the reviews and thought to myself, "Wow!  If it's as easy to make and as scrumptious as folks are raving, I have to make this!"

And so I did.

Ingredients

2 (8 oz) packages of softened cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of Mexican vanilla extract
2 cans of crescent rolls
another 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup of butter
honey


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat the cream cheese with 3/4 cup of sugar and vanilla extract.  I love vanilla.  I know that the recipe calls for only 1 teaspoon of vanilla but I input probably about 3...  Like I said, I just love vanilla!  You want to beat the ingredients until it's smooth.
Unroll the first can of crescent rolls.  You can either use a rolling pin to flatten and press together, or you can use your fingers.  Like I did.  As you can see my finger prints in the dough.  Make sure your fingers are clean and press the seams of the rolls together to make a rectangle to fit into the bottom of your 9x13 pan.  
Spread the decadent cream cheese mixture evenly over the dough.
Then place the other flattened crescent roll 9x13 dough piece over the cream cheese.  
Mix the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  I love cinnamon on soapapillas so I think I just poured into the sugar until I felt like it was enough!
Melt the butter.  Brush the butter on top of dough with a basting brush.  This will help coat the dough evenly and reduce butter ponds on top of your dough.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the butter.  Go wild with it!  
Bake in the oven until the crescent rolls are puffed and golden brown.  I would check after 25 minutes of baking and then determine if you need longer.  I baked mine for about 35 minutes.
Cut into squares and you are good to serve!
I served mine with the option of vanilla ice cream or mango sorbet with the honey bottle on the table if any one wanted to indulge.
These were super delicious and quick to make!

For the printable version of the recipe, click here.

1 comment :

Comments are so fun! I love reading them all and respond to each one by email!

Back to Top