Monday, August 20, 2018

Winston starts Kindergarten!

This year Winston started Kindergarten at an elementary school about a mile away from us.  He was super excited!  Our school did an excellent job at ensuring the students were ready to find their way to their class on the first day by hosting a Meet the Teacher night as well as a Kindergarten Round-Up the next day.  This extra meeting provided an hour for the students to be in their classes while we were inundated with all sorts of information about the front office, clinic, drop off/pick up and lunches.
A sweet friend made this shirt for WAC and it seemed like the most appropriate thing to wear on Round Up morning!
On the morning of the big day, he we eager to get on the road to his new class!  Benjamin had the day off making the drop off that much more special!  Winston led the way to his classroom without any hesitation.   I am proud to say that I held it together {for the most part!} and all of us, even Truman, counted down to when we would go and pick up him in the afternoon.
When we were on the bike when we saw a rainbow in the sky!  Winston in all of his sweetness said, "That's God saying He'll always be with me.  I am going to be strong and courageous!"  {Cue all the tears but not too many tears because I was driving the bike!}  That moment was exactly what I needed to know that we were sending a pretty cool little human into the next chapter of his life prepared with the knowledge that God was always near him.

When we picked him up that afternoon, he was all smiles and buzzing about his amazing day with two recesses and lots of new friends.  The phrase, "...because I'm in Kindergarten now" comes up a lot reinforcing to me just how grown up he is.  And then there are moments when he still wants to curl up in my lap and suck his thumb and I cherish those times because I know they won't last forever.

In order to revive this space as a way to document life in our family, I asked Winston a series of questions that I hope to continue asking him each year before the beginning of school.  Some of his answers were so comical!  
How old are you?
Five!

What is your favorite color?
Green.  No blue, definitely blue!

What is your favorite food?
My favorite chicken!
Me:  What is your favorite chicken?
WAC: You know, the chicken with the sauce and the brown.  Oh, just say rolls!
Me:  Whaaaat?! 😂

What is your favorite holiday?
My favorite holiday is Halloween!  oooOooOo!!!

What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
I like it when I snuggle up with her and she reads me books.
WAC: I didn't say read me books!
Me:  I know, I put that in there! 😜

What is your favorite thing to do with Daddy?
Build Legos.

What is your favorite thing to do with Truman?
My favorite thing to do with Truman is building forts together.  Usually, I do all the forts and he helps a little.

What was your favorite thing you did this summer?
Spend time with Dharma on our vacation to the Ford City House!  Love it when we play water balloons!

What are you most excited about this year in school?  
Making new friends and running in fast races.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
Hmmmm.  A race car driver!

What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer!  
Me: Really?
WAC: Yes, really!
Me: Not any of the other movies we watch all the time?
WAC: Well, I do like Lego Ninjago too.

What is your favorite toy or stuffed animal?
My favorite toy is Legos and my favorite stuffed animal is Leafy.  {Who is the Canadian Beanie Baby}  And we can't forget Lego blankie!  

Here's to a great year full of new firsts, big adventures, lots of learning and growing.  We love you Winston Ace; you are going to rock Kindergarten!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are so fun! I love reading them all and respond to each one by email!

Back to Top